Pension from abroad

It is easy to claim a pension from abroad. If you live in Finland, the Finnish Centre for Pensions will forward your claim abroad if you are claiming a pension from one or several of the following countries:

  • EU/EEA countries,
  • Great Britain,
  • Switzerland, and/or
  • countries with which Finland has a mutual social security agreement.

EU’s social security regulations and the bilateral social security agreements that Finland has signed with certain countries make sure that pensions are paid between Finland and these countries.

Countries from which pensions are paid to Finland based on the EU regulation or a social security agreement:

Australia, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Canada, Chile, China, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, France, Germany, Great Britain, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, India, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Latvia, Lichtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, The Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Quebec, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United States

Right to pension from abroad usually based on work

In general, you have a right to a pension from abroad if your work abroad has been insured there. Supplementary pensions that offer a minimum income are usually not paid from one country to another.

If you have lived in one of the Nordic countries, the Netherlands, Canada, Australia and Israel, you may also have to right to receive a pensions from those countries simply because you have lived there.

Retirement ages vary

The retirement ages vary in different countries. Depending on the country, you may also be able to draw an early old-age pension.

Many countries are raising their statutory retirement ages. For more information on the different countries’ retirement ages, contact the foreign pension providers.

Pension decision based on national laws

Each country issues a pension decision based on its own legislation. For example, even if you were granted a disability pension from Finland, you would not necessarily be granted one from another EU/EEA country or a social security agreement country. However, that does not mean that you may not have the right to disability or old-age pension from the country at a later point.

When you get a pension from abroad, it may have serious effects on benefits that you receive in Finland. A pension from abroad can reduce your Finnish unemployment benefit, sickness allowance and income support. A foreign pension can also prevent these benefits from being paid. In addition, you may be asked to pay back benefits that you have already received.

If you get a statutory pension from abroad, it does not prevent you from getting a partial old-age pension in Finland. However, if you get a part-time pension, you should note that receiving a foreign statutory pension means that you cannot be paid a part-time pension in Finland.

If you are self-employed, your obligation to take out insurance ends when you are granted a statutory old-age pension from Finland or some foreign country. However, you can take out a voluntary pension insurance for self-employed persons or farmers.

Before you apply for a pension from abroad, find out how it will affect your benefits from Finland.

When you have retired, remember to notify your foreign pension provider if your circumstances change, for example, if:

  • you marry,
  • you move,
  • you start working, or
  • your bank account number changes.

Some foreign pension providers send a form each year that you have to fill in and return to them. The purpose of the form, which is also known as a certificate of life, is to make sure that your foreign pension provider has your correct contact information.

In general, if you do not return the form, your pension payments will be interrupted.

In general, your pension from abroad will be paid into your bank account each month. In some cases, you may get a bank cheque instead.

To reduce bank or cheque processing fees, you can contact the foreign pension provider and ask them if they can pay your pension less frequently.

You have to report the pension you receive from abroad when you file your tax return. Contact the institution that pays your foreign pension or the tax authorities of the country in question. For more information on how a pension from abroad affects your taxation in Finland, turn to the Finnish Tax Administration’s tax service for specific international situations.