Working in two countries

As a rule, workers are often insured in the country in which they live and do a considerable part of their working hours.

If you are employed by a Finnish employer and a foreign employer, you may be insured abroad. In that case, your statutory insurance contributions are also paid abroad.


The worker lives in Estonia. He works three days a week in Estonia for an Estonian employer. Two days a week, he works for a Finnish employer in Finland.

The worker applies for an A1 certificate from Estonia. Since the worker lives in Estonia and does a considerable part of his working hours in Estonia, both employers pay the social insurance contributions for the worker to Estonia.

For more information on how to take out insurance, contact the Finnish Centre for Pensions by

  • phone: +358 29 411 2110 or
  • e-mail: ulkomaanasiat(at)

Go to the page Contact information for details on how you can contact us and when our Customer Services are open.