Private household as employer

Your private household is an employer if you hire, for example, a renovator, help with childminding or cleaning, or a musician for family celebrations.

As the employer, your household has to pay pension contributions for wages paid to persons who have turned 17 years if the monthly wage is at least €68.57 (in 2024). The length of the employment makes no difference.

If your household employs a retiree, they have to be insured, as well, unless they have passed the age when they can no longer be insured. That age depends on when you were born.

  • If you were born in 1957 or earlier the insurance obligation ends at the age of 68.
  • If you were born between 1958 and 1961 the insurance obligation ends at the age of 69.
  • If you were born in 1962 or later the insurance obligation ends at the age of 70.

This way, retirees can earn new pension funds in retirement.

If the person your household has employed is a self-employed person, they will take care of their pension insurance themselves.

Post wage bill via or directly to the pension provider

All employees have to be insured under the Employees Pensions Act (TyEL). If you hire people occasionally and the wages for a six-month-period are less than €9,822 (in 2024), you do not have to sign a separate insurance agreement.

Instead, you can manage the insurance directly with any of the pension insurance companies or via (available in Finnish and Swedish). If you use, the service will automatically handle the notifications (e.g. to the Incomes Register) and payments to the earnings-related pension company, the Employment Fund and the Finnish Tax Administration.

Go to or the pension insurance companies’ websites for more information on how to post the wage bill.